10 Tips for Before and After Your Mommy Makeover
If you’re thinking about getting a mommy makeover, you probably have a lot of questions about what to do both before and after the surgery. Here are some helpful tips.
Before Your Surgery
- Discuss all of your concerns with your surgeon. Make sure to mention all of the things that you would like to address with the surgery. If you’ve got questions, ask them. It’s up to your doctor to make sure that you feel comfortable with the procedure and that you are fully informed.
- Quit smoking before your surgery. Cigarettes have many negative effects on your health, and nicotine inhibits healing.
- Make sure that you set aside enough time in your work and family schedules to give yourself the necessary time to recover from your surgical procedures. This is the time that you have to focus on you and your recovery. You need to give yourself the time to recover before getting back into your daily routine.
- Plan to have someone at home to help you for your first few days post-op. Ask a family member or friend to be there with you to help with your post-operative needs. This is important because you will not be able to do this by yourself.
- Get yourself in shape before surgery. Surgery is stressful to the body and better-conditioned patients have an easier time post-op. They recover quicker. So walk, run, work out, rest and eat a healthy diet before surgery.
After Your Surgery
- After your surgery, your main goal is to heal. You’ll probably be on several medications to alleviate pain and to help you sleep. Take it easy. Try to rest as much as possible but take small breaks to move around a little.
- Be patient. It can take several weeks for the typical post-op bruising and swelling to completely resolve so you can appreciate your final result. Although you may love the improvements that you see right away, it will take about 12 weeks for the final results of liposuction to be seen.
- You should expect some back pain. For at least a week post-op most patients will walk “hunched over,” but you should be standing straight after a week or two.
- Be gentle with yourself. Remember that your emotions will be running high.
- Now is the time to concentrate on a healthy diet and exercise to make the most of your results. It’s up to you to keep your dream body after the surgery.
To find out if a mommy makeover is right for you, contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation. Plastic Surgery Affiliates serves patients in Nashville, Brentwood, Hendersonville, Franklin, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Lebanon and across Tennessee.