Dos and Don’ts for a Healthy Lifestyle After Liposuction
Liposuction is a type of body-sculpting procedure that removes targeted areas of fat from the body. This fat is unresponsive to diet and exercise. Liposuction can be applied nearly anywhere on the body from the abdomen, thighs and hips to the upper arms and chin or neckline.
Liposuction is not designed for weight loss, but for the reshaping of problem areas. It is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures. And according to the Journal of American Society of Plastic Surgeons, more than 80 percent of patients who undergo liposuction are satisfied with their surgical results.
However, many patients who undergo liposuction tend to regain their weight after the surgery. Making your liposuction a success story depends on how you take care of your new post-op body. After liposuction, it is up to you to maintain a healthy lifestyle to achieve long-lasting results.
To help you make the most of this procedure, here are some simple do’s and don’ts to follow for a healthy lifestyle after liposuction.
- Get plenty of rest. You must give your body the time it needs to recover after this surgical procedure. Resting can help to speed up the healing process.
- Stay hydrated. Again, this can help to speed up the healing process. Also, staying hydrated can help prevent snacking, so you won’t put on unwanted weight.
- Eat a healthy diet. That doesn’t mean that you have to eat less. It just means that you have to eat better. Eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables and cut down on sugar, carbohydrates and saturated fats. As a good rule of thumb, avoid fast food and junk foods.
- Wear a compression garment. It is important to wear a compression garment for the first six weeks following your liposuction procedure. This will help to reduce the pain and swelling post-op. It also helps the body to assume its new and improved shape.
- Don’t smoke. Try to quit smoking at least a month or two before your surgery. Smoking increases the risk that complications will arise post-op and it slows down your healing rate.
- Avoid over-the-counter supplements like aspirin or supplements that are rich in vitamin E. They could slow blood clotting and increase healing time.
- Don’t set yourself up for disappointment. Manage your expectations. You will not see the full results of your surgery immediately. Liposuction will cause swelling, which will take several weeks to subside.
- Don’t rush back to your workout routine. Give your body some time to rest and recuperate after surgery.
- Don’t worry if you notice some bumps or lumps under the skin. This is simply a side effect of tissue trauma and healing, and it should dissipate quickly.
To learn more about liposuction, contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation. Plastic Surgery Affiliates serves patients in Nashville, Brentwood, Hendersonville, Franklin, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Lebanon and across Tennessee.